Donna Downey Simplified Portrait
This event has been cancelled.
Please email us to be the first to know when we have a new date.
June 12-14 to be rescheduled soon
10 am - 5 pm
One of the most magical discoveries I have experienced as an artist is that, "I can paint faces!!"These were the exact words that escaped in excitement when I finished my first portrait. Since painting that portrait, I have not only seen my portrait work grow beyond my own personal artistic boundaries, but I have also gained a more expressive quality and voice in my work. Exploring this new expressive approach to my art, I can directly attribute much of that growth to simplifying my portrait painting process.
I designed this class for all levels from the very beginner to the practiced artist. Although we will work together in establishing some basic portrait basics, we will not draw a single line! NO DRAWING NEEDED. We will be painters, enjoying the art of the painted portrait without measuring and technical mumbo jumbo that only confuses the joy of painting.
Donna Downey is an accomplished painter, bestselling author, instructor, and entrepreneur with a passion for nurturing the creative development of other artists. Her artist studio, located on 23 secluded, wooded acres in an idyllic setting has been an escape to many artists seeking to grow and fulfill their potential. Through her own endeavors, Inspiration to Action Retreats, mentorship opportunities, and creative development, she has helped foster the creativity and journey of countless artists.
"By applying proven methods and experiences, I seek to equip and empower artists to discover their full creative potential. Whether you are an accomplished artist or just beginning your creative journey, I invite you to join me and grow." Donna
JUST THE FACTS!Workshop Overview
- Complete 2-3 Simplified Portraits.
- We will work from the same image provided for the first piece and then an individualized image (student choice) for additional pieces.
- This workshop can be done in acrylics.
- We will not be striving for realism, instead focusing on the expressive quality of portraiture.
- We will explore paint colors, skin tones, and color mixing.
- Elements of the face and how they apply to facial expressions.
- Portraits from different perspectives.
- Defining the face through shadow and light.
- Highlighting the stylistic differences each artist brings to their own painting.
- All materials - 9x12 canvases, paint and paint brushes
- Lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Snacks and beverages throughout the retreat
Reservations are non-refundable. If you are unable to attend, your spot can be transferred to a friend or bought by another student on the waiting list (if the event has one).
Facebook: @donnadowneyARTIST https://www.facebook.com/donnadowneyARTIST/
Instagram: @donnadowney https://www.instagram.com/donnadowney/
Carlisle, Massachusetts is a tiny town about 40 minutes northwest of Boston. The Boston, Manchester, Worcester and Providence airports are all within driving distance.
Once called the “city of the woods” by Henry David Thoreau, Carlisle is still a rural community with over 30% of the land permanently protected open space. We have one country store, a library and a few other public buildings but no hotels. However, there are two airbnbs if you would like to stay a few minutes from the studio. Otherwise there are several hotels in the close towns of Westford and Concord, including the historical Hawthorne and Colonial Inns. You will find a variety of restaurants in these towns as well.
If you have any questions about getting here or accommodations please send me a note at email@example.com.